- 1-1/3 cups uncooked long grain or basmati rice
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) peach halves, drained
- 1 cup canned or frozen pitted tart cherries, drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine rice, peaches, cherries, cream and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2- qt. baking dish.
- Combine oats, coconut, pecans, butter and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over rice. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Breakfast Rice Pudding
"I usually save leftover rice to eat as breakfast cereal with cinnamon, sugar and milk. This recipe is sort of a cross between that and rice pudding. I added a sprinkling of cinnamon which I felt it lacked. The topping is wonderful. The kids went crazy over it. The canned peaches were mushy, too sweet and didn't really add to the recipe. I'll try it again when I have fresh peaches. Yes, there is a lot of fat and sugar, but overall it is a very tasty, filling breakfast dish. An egg or 2 could probably have been beaten in with the cream to add some protein and make it more custard like."
"This is really a good, hearty breakfast. Don't let the fat scare you--I substituted FF half-n-half for the heavy cream with no problem. You could leave off the topping entirely, since that's where most of the fat comes from. I think I just sprinkled mine with cinnamon & sugar."
"This is a great breakfast for my big family, and my children love it!"