Breakfast Pockets Recipe
Meet the Cook: With these, I like being able to serve a complete breakfast inside a tidy pocket of dough. Just add fresh fruit, juice or fruit-flavored gelatin on the side. -Dolores Jantzen, Plymouth, Nebraska
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add evaporated milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add hash browns, eggs, milk and seasonings. Cook and stir until the eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheese; keep warm.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into 14 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out dough into 7-in. circles. Top each with about 1/3 cup filling; fold dough over filling and pinch the edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 408 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC