- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add evaporated milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add hash browns, eggs, milk and seasonings. Cook and stir until the eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheese; keep warm.
- Punch dough down; divide into 14 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out dough into 7-in. circles. Top each with about 1/3 cup filling; fold dough over filling and pinch the edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Breakfast Pockets
Sort By :
"I made a double batch and froze the extras. They are a great fast breakfast when heated in the microwave in the morning."
"This is agreat recipe, if you can devote a part of your weekend to making a big batch of these they freeze perfectly. my husabnd loves these. They are like homemade hot pockets, he want me to make another batch with just sausage,and one with chorizo mexican style."
"These are absolutely delicious. I love them because they are just as good hot or cold and they freeze well. I am always asked for this recipe."
"These pockets are great. The bread raises a lot and has a nice texture. I added 1 pound of bacon chopped up to the sausage when browning. The next time I plan to add red and green peppers and maybe mushrooms too. I served it with a cream gravy.I also plan to use this bread recipe to make a hamburger pocket. Thank you for this recipe."
"can you freeze these?"