At home or on the go, pita halves make handy holders for this flavorful mixture of sausage, scrambled eggs and Swiss cheese. "I don't know where I found this recipe, but I do know everybody likes it," writes Mrs. James Kell of Ocala, Florida. "Once the pockets are filled, they can be kept warm in the oven until the whole family is fed."
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 5 pita breads, halved
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Place the pita halves in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly greased skillet. Cook and stir gently over medium heat until the eggs are completely set. Stir in sausage. Place a half slice of cheese in each pita half; spoon about 1/3 cup of egg mixture into each half. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Pita Pockets in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p9
Reviews for Breakfast Pita Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review