- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Beat egg yolks; add to yeast mixture. Stir gently into flour mixture to form a smooth ball.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over each rectangle; sprinkle with nuts.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with short side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cut a deep slit down center of each roll (do not cut through).
- Immediately bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. When completely cooled, slice diagonally. Yield: 2 rolls.
Originally published as Breakfast Nut Roll in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p64
Reviews for Breakfast Nut Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review