"I love to make this hearty sandwich when we have company for the weekend," writes Amy McCuan of Oakley, California. "I serve it with juice and fresh fruit." At 84¢ a serving, the loaf is priced right. "If you like, add sliced mushrooms and olives," Amy suggests.
Recommended: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 6 ounces sliced deli ham, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- Cut one-fourth off top of bread loaf. Hollow out both parts, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place a fourth of the ham in bread bottom; top with half of each of the cheeses. Layer with red pepper, scrambled eggs, tomato and the the remaining cheeses and ham. Press layers gently. Replace bread top; wrap tightly in foil. Bake until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p13
Reviews for Breakfast Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2010
"A fav w/ my husband."