"I love to make this hearty sandwich when we have company for the weekend," writes Amy McCuan of Oakley, California. "I serve it with juice and fresh fruit." At 84¢ a serving, the loaf is priced right. "If you like, add sliced mushrooms and olives," Amy suggests.
Recommended: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, salt and pepper. Melt butter in a skillet; add eggs. Cook and stir until set; set aside. Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set top aside.
- In bottom of bread, place a fourth of the ham. Layer with half of the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, red pepper, scrambled eggs and tomato slices. Top with the remaining cheese and ham. Gently press the layers together. Replace bread top and wrap tightly in foil. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p13
Reviews for Breakfast Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2010
"A fav w/ my husband."