- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Combine milk, oil and 1 egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining egg. Add cheddar cheese and seasoned salt; mix well. Stir in bacon. Spoon 2 tablespoons in the center of each muffin.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Breakfast in a Muffin
Sort By :
My husband did not like these as much. He said they were too "whole grainy". He really liked the topping. I had to use sausage instead of bacon ( I used 1/4 of a sausage log). Now my 2 y/o nephew liked them just fine.
These are light, delicious muffins, that are quick to make. I used only all-purpose flour for mine and I folded the cream cheese/ bacon filling into the batter, instead of putting it on top. I used 6 oz.(1/2 pkg) of bacon in mine. Sausage would be a good substitute. Good muffin base to add to!
We've had these muffins twice and the second time I used only spring whole wheat flour and 2 T of ground flax seeds...my family LOVES them. Also, I replaced the sugar with maple syrup. We will be enjoying these often!!!!!
I baked these this morning for my family, which includes teenagers. No one in my family liked them. The whole wheat flour makes them a little too dense and muted the flavor of the bacon and cheese. The muffins are bland, so if that is what you are going for, I guess this would be a good recipe for you.