- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Combine milk, oil and 1 egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining egg. Add cheddar cheese and seasoned salt; mix well. Stir in bacon. Spoon 2 tablespoons in the center of each muffin.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Breakfast in a Muffin
Sort By :
"My husband did not like these as much. He said they were too "whole grainy". He really liked the topping. I had to use sausage instead of bacon ( I used 1/4 of a sausage log). Now my 2 y/o nephew liked them just fine."
"These are light, delicious muffins, that are quick to make. I used only all-purpose flour for mine and I folded the cream cheese/ bacon filling into the batter, instead of putting it on top. I used 6 oz.(1/2 pkg) of bacon in mine. Sausage would be a good substitute. Good muffin base to add to!"
"We've had these muffins twice and the second time I used only spring whole wheat flour and 2 T of ground flax seeds...my family LOVES them. Also, I replaced the sugar with maple syrup. We will be enjoying these often!!!!!"
"I baked these this morning for my family, which includes teenagers. No one in my family liked them. The whole wheat flour makes them a little too dense and muted the flavor of the bacon and cheese. The muffins are bland, so if that is what you are going for, I guess this would be a good recipe for you."