Breakfast in a Biscuit Recipe
This recipe brings back memories of my youth. My mother used to make these muffins as a special breakfast treat. My husband and I also have them for dinner.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk to form a soft dough. Divide into 12 portions.
- Roll each into a 6-in. circle; press onto the bottoms and up the sides of greased muffin cups. Fill each with 2 tablespoons sausage and about 1 teaspoon cheese. Sprinkle with onion. Spoon about 2 teaspoons beaten egg over each.
- Pinch crust together over filling to seal; brush with butter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Breakfast in a Biscuit in Best of Country Breads 2000, p20
Reviews for Breakfast in a Biscuit(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review