"I was fixing a Western omelet form my husband while frying up potatoes in another pan," recalls Shirley Frank of Neponset, Illinois. "I cut up too many vegetables for the omelet and didn't want to waste them, so I added them to the potatoes. Everyone wanted a taste. Now I make this hash at least once a month."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large nonstick
- skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add potato mixture. Cook
- and stir for 15-16 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 111 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.