Breakfast Cranberry Scones Recipe
Cornmeal adds a slight crunch to these breakfast or brunch treats. Kathy Zielicke of Moore Haven, Florida writes, "These scones are nice with a cup of hot tea or coffee. For a change of pace, try them with the dried berries of your choice. They're sure to brighten your day."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cranberries, cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, orange peel, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg whites, buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-1/2-in. circle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 12 wedges; do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC