I like to give my family a hearty start in the morning, especially when they have to eat in a hurry. These easy-to-make "cookies" are perfect for a breakfast on the run and really appeal to the kid in all of us.
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix
- well. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Fold in cheese and bacon. Drop by
- rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350°
- for 15-17 minutes or until light brown. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 183 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.