- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Breakfast Casserole
"this is my go too recipe if there is company coming! i make it the night before, and cook the next morning with homemade biscuits and perserves! my guest love it!"
"My family loves this casserole knowing it is very low fat. We use turkey sausage and brown it with red peppers and scallions. I also use different kinds of bread and layer it on the bottom. Fresh wheat bread was great. I try to fix once a week with slight variations. It is fantastic."
"This is just like another recipe on Taste of Home, Cheesy Sausage Strata - and that one is much better with whole eggs!"
"This is a great recipe. I usually change it up a bit to be slightly healthier with wheat bread and use ground chicken or turkey. I also add a can of fat free cream of mushroom and mushrooms. It's delicious! And tastes great re-heated!"
"Very tasty recipe! I omitted the mustard, and added fresh spinach to the recipe. The kids loved it, and it worked as a quick meal before school."