Mary Stoddard of Fountain Inn, South Carolina sent in the recipe for this hearty cheese and sausage casserole that's perfect or a yummy breakfast or bunch. Since it's prepared ahead, it's convenient for serving on special occasions when you're hosting overnight guests.
- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p49
Reviews for Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review