- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Breakfast Casserole
Sort By :
"My family loves this casserole knowing it is very low fat. We use turkey sausage and brown it with red peppers and scallions. I also use different kinds of bread and layer it on the bottom. Fresh wheat bread was great. I try to fix once a week with slight variations. It is fantastic."
"This is just like another recipe on Taste of Home, Cheesy Sausage Strata - and that one is much better with whole eggs!"
"This is a great recipe. I usually change it up a bit to be slightly healthier with wheat bread and use ground chicken or turkey. I also add a can of fat free cream of mushroom and mushrooms. It's delicious! And tastes great re-heated!"
"Very tasty recipe! I omitted the mustard, and added fresh spinach to the recipe. The kids loved it, and it worked as a quick meal before school."
"I made two casseroles for Christmas morning breakfast. I made one sausage and one bacon. They were delicious and so easy to make (I did prepare the night before)."