4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta or bacon
- 4 crusty hard rolls (4-inch wide)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere or fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, cook pancetta over
- medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove with a
- slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off top of each roll. Hollow out bottom
- of roll, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (save removed bread for
- another use); place shells on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Add mushrooms and pancetta to bread shells. Carefully break an egg
- into each; sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks
- begin to thicken but are not hard. Yield: 4 servings.