- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 4 crusty hard rolls (4 inches wide)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere or fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off top of each roll. Hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (save removed bread for another use); place shells on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Add mushrooms and pancetta to bread shells. Carefully break an egg into each; sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 18-22 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Breakfast Bread Bowls
"Very tasty and this one is a keeper! Great idea!"
"Very nice, everyone enjoyed them."
"These turned out great! I substituted chopped peppers and onion for the bacon/pancetta and lined the pan with parchment paper. The baking time was very accurate - will definitely make again. Add a green salad or fruit and you can have a complete meal anytime!"