Breakfast Bran Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cereals and boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Stir in the buttermilk, molasses and cereal mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- 3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Wrap remaining muffins in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen muffins: Thaw at room temperature. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 149 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Breakfast Bran Muffins
"I put in walnuts instead of raisins. I also used 3 cups of all Bran ,I didn't have bran flakes. Turned out great."
"Delicious, moist, and nutritious. I make it frequently. Using Raisin Bran and adding pecans make it even better."