Breakfast Bars Recipe
"I like to stash these satisfying squares in the freezer," writes Candace Jenks. "When I need a quick breakfast or anytime snack, I simply microwave the not-too-sweet bars until they're thawed," says the Minot, North Dakota cook.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Combine oats, flours and wheat germ; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in pecans, coconut and chocolate chips. Spread evenly over crust.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 292 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Breakfast Bars
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2011
"My husband loves these and requests them often!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC