"I like to stash these satisfying squares in the freezer," writes Candace Jenks. "When I need a quick breakfast or anytime snack, I simply microwave the not-too-sweet bars until they're thawed," says the Minot, North Dakota cook.
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Combine oats, flours and
- wheat germ; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy.
- Stir in pecans, coconut and chocolate chips. Spread evenly over
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 292 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.