Breakfast Bars Recipe
"I like to stash these satisfying squares in the freezer," writes Candace Jenks. "When I need a quick breakfast or anytime snack, I simply microwave the not-too-sweet bars until they're thawed," says the Minot, North Dakota cook.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Combine oats, flours and wheat germ; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in pecans, coconut and chocolate chips. Spread evenly over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Breakfast Bars in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p14
Reviews for Breakfast Bars(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review