Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Sprinkle the croutons, cheese, onion, peppers and mushrooms into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with bacon.
- 2. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 177 mg cholesterol, 691 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.