- 4-1/2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sprinkle the croutons, cheese, onion, peppers and mushrooms into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Breakfast Bake
"I LOVE this recipe and have used it for years! I follow the recipe but put it all in a 9 x 13 inch dish to bake. It's a family favorite!"
"I cut the recipe down and served it in my ramekins. We loved it. Will be making it again."
"I have made this many times and it's always a hit. I want to put it all in a 9 x 13 dish this time for a bigger crowd. Anyone know how long it will take to bake?"
"I prepared this on Christmas Eve and popped it in the oven this morning. Everyone is still raving about it! I added ham to it. Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be a 'go to' recipe for sure!"