- 4-1/2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sprinkle the croutons, cheese, onion, peppers and mushrooms into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Breakfast Bake
"I LOVE this recipe and have used it for years! I follow the recipe but put it all in a 9 x 13 inch dish to bake. It's a family favorite!"
"I cut the recipe down and served it in my ramekins. We loved it. Will be making it again."
"I have made this many times and it's always a hit. I want to put it all in a 9 x 13 dish this time for a bigger crowd. Anyone know how long it will take to bake?"
"I prepared this on Christmas Eve and popped it in the oven this morning. Everyone is still raving about it! I added ham to it. Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be a 'go to' recipe for sure!"
"This my go-to breakfast casserole recipe. It is easy and so delicious. I have made it so many times now that I have gotten creative with variations. If I'm not in the mood for mushrooms, I add chopped yellow pepper in its place. If I want a meatless variation, I omit the bacon entirely or I substitute with meatless soy crumbles (aka vegetarian ground beef). You can also play around with different cheeses, although extra sharp cheddar is my favorite."
"This was amazing! Delicious and easy to make. I put it all together Christmas Eve and it was ready to bake the next morning."
"I have made this recipe many, many times. It freezes well."
"Love this recipe. I always get compliments when I make it!"
"This was really good. I made a half casserole just to try and froze it for the next weekend. It turned out great and was so nice to have ready to go when I needed it. Next time I might add some ham for a meatier dish. My husband thought it was good just the way it was. A keeper."