- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in 1 cup warm water. Add the oil, egg, salt, 2 cups flour, and remaining sugar and water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream the butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Serve with breadsticks. Yield: 3 dozen breadsticks and about 2/3 cup butter.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Breadsticks with Parmesan Butter
Sort By :
"Delicious. I didn't bother with making the butter -- just brushed melted butter on the hot breadsticks and then dusted with parmesan. These were a little sweeter than I expected a savory breadstick to be, and could probably have worked just as well with a sweet topping."
"these breadsticks are wonderful! so soft and fluffy, everyone that tried them loved them."
"This is a favorite in our home. I have made these several times because they are a very easy to make bread recipe. I had made the dough one night I was going to serve the breadsticks to company. The weather turned icy and my company couldn't make it. The dough had risen and it makes a lot of sticks. So I thought I would try and make a couple of pizza's out of it instead. Oh my gosh it made a fantasic pizza crust as well. What a tasty and versatile bread recipe. I continue to use this as my pizza dough now. We make this about once a month now and have for years. This recipe will make 3 pizza's. I let it rise punch it down, spread it on the pizza stones with a little cornmeal sprinkle with spices and par bake the crust for about 10 minutes before adding the toppings. Then we add the toppings, bake 1 and freeze 2. It is the best homemade pizza ever!"
"Best breadsticks I have ever made and I have tried many recipes. I will not have to try any more because this is the one! Instead of serving with the garlic butter, I spread the butter on top of the breadsticks when they first came out of the oven and then sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese."
"Tried these and loved them!"