- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Cut each portion into eight pieces; roll each into a 5-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To build game tower, place three breadsticks about 1/2 in. apart and parallel to each other on a serving board. Stack three breadsticks at right angles to the previous layer; repeat layers six times. Serve remaining breadsticks separately. Yield: 32 breadsticks.
Originally published as Breadsticks Jenga in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p185
Reviews for Breadsticks Jenga
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2014
"I love making bread recipes and these breadsticks are delicious. I make extra and freeze so I have them whenever I want them."
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2012
"This is the best breadstick or bun recipe there is."