Breaded Swiss Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in eggs, then roll in crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil in batches for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear; drain. Place chicken in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in wine or broth. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 458 calories, 33 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 840 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.