Breaded Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook spinach in 1/2 in. of water over medium heat just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain and set spinach aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings; add spinach and set aside.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture down the center of each chicken breast. Fold one side over filling and roll up tightly; secure with a toothpick. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika. In another bowl, combine egg substitute and water. Dip each roll-up in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- 3. Place seam side down, in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
One stuffed chicken breast equals 260 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.