- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 12 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- Combine the basil, oil, oregano, pepper and salt; set aside. Place egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Cut eggplant lengthwise into six slices. Dip slices in egg whites, then coat in crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once.
- Cut each tomato into six slices; place two slices on each eggplant slice. Spoon reserved basil mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, rub garlic over one side of each bread slice; discard garlic or save for another use. Place each eggplant stack on a slice of bread; top with remaining bread. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Breaded Eggplant Sandwiches
Sort By :
This recipe was delicious and relatively easy to make. The eggplant cooked perfectly and the mozzarella cheese really made the meal come together. I will make this recipe again.
While making these sandwiches I thought they were a lot of work, but it was well worth it! The whole family enjoyed it, even the kids who claimed they never had eggplant before. (So they think:) My husband suggested chopping up some green olives into the seasoning. I think I will try that next time. We will be making this recipe again!