Breaded Chicken with Ham 'n' Cheese Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place two slices of prosciutto and one slice of cheese down the center of each chicken breast half; fold chicken over cheese and secure with toothpicks.
- 2. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and tarragon. Coat chicken with flour, then dip into egg and coat with crumb mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, add broth and sherry or additional broth to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken. Yield: 2 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 578 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 238mg cholesterol, 1517mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Breaded Chicken with Ham 'n' Cheese
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.