"This recipe was adapted from one I found in an old San Francisco Junior League cookbook," relates Laurie Mitchell from her home in Indianapolis, Indiana. "It's so easy and tastes so good that it's become one of my all-time favorite chicken dishes. I like to serve it with rice pilaf along with some lightly steamed, fresh green beans."
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place two slices of prosciutto and one slice of cheese down the center of each chicken breast half; fold chicken over cheese and secure with toothpicks.
- Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and tarragon. Coat chicken with flour, then dip into egg and coat with crumb mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, add broth and sherry or additional broth to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Breaded Chicken with Ham 'n' Cheese in Country Woman May/June 2005, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Breaded Chicken with Ham 'n' Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review