A tasty topping of sour cream, avocado and cheese adds richness to this crunchy coated chicken. To round out the meal, fix steamed broccoli and cubed red potatoes as shown in the photo at top right. Or prepare frozen stir-fry vegetables and warm up bakery breadsticks.
Recommended: Fresh, Balanced & Filling No-Cook Summer Dinners
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 slices ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, garlic salt and cumin. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg and water. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; dip into egg mixture, then place in the bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Cook chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Top with cheese and avocado; cover and cook until cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Breaded chicken with Avocado in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Breaded Chicken with Avocado
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2016
"Very nice spice combination!*i used spelt instead of cornmeal and added some paprika to the egg wash -- yum"
Reviewed May. 29, 2012
"This recipe is such a treat. Due to dietary reasons, I only serve this once or twice a year - it's SO good!"