Back in 13th-century England, bread pudding was called poor man's pudding. Leftover bread was simply soaked in water, then seasoned with sugar and spices. Todays version features eggs, milk and butter.Evette Rios, Westfield, Massachusetts
12-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3 eggs
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 to 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced bread, cubed
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the milk, sugar, butter, raisins,
- vanilla, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Gently stir in bread cubes.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 325° for
- 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 220 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.