- 2 eggs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
Sort By :
"This recipe dose not need the vanilla sauce. It was so delicious and very quick to make. The only thing I did different was I toasted the bread with butter first and I added a little miracle whipped plush I baked it in a bread pan."
"This was so easy and sooo good :o) the best thing to do with stale bread ever !Maybe next time I will add a bit of milk or cream to the vanilla sauce."
"This was so easy and simple. I had all the ingredients the only thing I needed to buy was the bread :) Also, I used half and half instead of milk and I added semi-sweet chocolate chips for that nice chocolaty flavor. It was just perfect. Yummy! Simple, no fancy ingredients and was tasty!"
"My first time to make a bread pudding! it was super easy to make... used sliced bread but toasted it first as in another pudding review i had read that it does make a difference....n it did! the pudding tasted like caramel candy....i just added half a tsp of cinnamon n no nutmeg as i didnt have it at hand.... did cook it 15mins more then the required time as the knife wont come out clean as the recipe said....and i added a tbspful of fresh cream to the mix too....it fluffed but then sank as it cooled....dont know why that happened? i found it a little sweet so next time will reduce 2tbsp sugar....esp. if sauce is used.....but it was still yumm! good comfort food :)"
"Really easy to make , only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch because their wasn't enough ! The recipe can be modified to your liking but I thought it was just great !!"