- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
"Love this recipe. My family makes me double the recipe when I make it!"
"This recipe dose not need the vanilla sauce. It was so delicious and very quick to make. The only thing I did different was I toasted the bread with butter first and I added a little miracle whipped plush I baked it in a bread pan."
"This was so easy and sooo good :o) the best thing to do with stale bread ever !Maybe next time I will add a bit of milk or cream to the vanilla sauce."
"This was so easy and simple. I had all the ingredients the only thing I needed to buy was the bread :) Also, I used half and half instead of milk and I added semi-sweet chocolate chips for that nice chocolaty flavor. It was just perfect. Yummy! Simple, no fancy ingredients and was tasty!"
"My first time to make a bread pudding! it was super easy to make... used sliced bread but toasted it first as in another pudding review i had read that it does make a difference....n it did! the pudding tasted like caramel candy....i just added half a tsp of cinnamon n no nutmeg as i didnt have it at hand.... did cook it 15mins more then the required time as the knife wont come out clean as the recipe said....and i added a tbspful of fresh cream to the mix too....it fluffed but then sank as it cooled....dont know why that happened? i found it a little sweet so next time will reduce 2tbsp sugar....esp. if sauce is used.....but it was still yumm! good comfort food :)"
"Really easy to make , only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch because their wasn't enough ! The recipe can be modified to your liking but I thought it was just great !!"
"Today was my first attempt at making Bread Pudding and this was it....VERY good and easy to make."
"Just made this very easy and very yummy"
"I made this recipe this morning for my in-laws. My mother-n-law is in her 70s and has baked since she can remember. She makes a pie crust that is so good, it doesn't even matter what the filling is, lol. So the pressure was on to find a good recipe and this is it... I did everything except the raisins I substituted with pecans and I added about a cup more bread (fresh baked french loaf from local store). I was worried it would be too soggy but with an additional 10 mins, my in-laws had a GREAT breakfast to start their trip to Hawaii with... Yay! :-) Oh and the vanilla sauce made quite a bit so I have enough for two batches! Guess what we will be having for breakfast again tomorrow!"
"Absolutely delicious! It is our family's new favorite dessert. I used a baguette loaf which gave it a bit of crunchiness to the recipe. I would make it the same way again. I would serve it to guests."