- 2 eggs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
Sort By :
Really easy to make , only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch because their wasn't enough ! The recipe can be modified to your liking but I thought it was just great !!
Today was my first attempt at making Bread Pudding and this was it....VERY good and easy to make.
Just made this very easy and very yummy
I made this recipe this morning for my in-laws. My mother-n-law is in her 70s and has baked since she can remember. She makes a pie crust that is so good, it doesn't even matter what the filling is, lol. So the pressure was on to find a good recipe and this is it... I did everything except the raisins I substituted with pecans and I added about a cup more bread (fresh baked french loaf from local store). I was worried it would be too soggy but with an additional 10 mins, my in-laws had a GREAT breakfast to start their trip to Hawaii with... Yay! :-) Oh and the vanilla sauce made quite a bit so I have enough for two batches! Guess what we will be having for breakfast again tomorrow!
Absolutely delicious! It is our family's new favorite dessert. I used a baguette loaf which gave it a bit of crunchiness to the recipe. I would make it the same way again. I would serve it to guests.