- 2 eggs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
Sort By :
Today was my first attempt at making Bread Pudding and this was it....VERY good and easy to make.
Just made this very easy and very yummy
I made this recipe this morning for my in-laws. My mother-n-law is in her 70s and has baked since she can remember. She makes a pie crust that is so good, it doesn't even matter what the filling is, lol. So the pressure was on to find a good recipe and this is it... I did everything except the raisins I substituted with pecans and I added about a cup more bread (fresh baked french loaf from local store). I was worried it would be too soggy but with an additional 10 mins, my in-laws had a GREAT breakfast to start their trip to Hawaii with... Yay! :-) Oh and the vanilla sauce made quite a bit so I have enough for two batches! Guess what we will be having for breakfast again tomorrow!
Absolutely delicious! It is our family's new favorite dessert. I used a baguette loaf which gave it a bit of crunchiness to the recipe. I would make it the same way again. I would serve it to guests.
This recipe was so good ,warm or cold. Gave some to friends and all asked for the recipe!