- 2 eggs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
Sort By :
"My first time to make a bread pudding! it was super easy to make... used sliced bread but toasted it first as in another pudding review i had read that it does make a difference....n it did! the pudding tasted like caramel candy....i just added half a tsp of cinnamon n no nutmeg as i didnt have it at hand.... did cook it 15mins more then the required time as the knife wont come out clean as the recipe said....and i added a tbspful of fresh cream to the mix too....it fluffed but then sank as it cooled....dont know why that happened? i found it a little sweet so next time will reduce 2tbsp sugar....esp. if sauce is used.....but it was still yumm! good comfort food :)"
"Really easy to make , only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch because their wasn't enough ! The recipe can be modified to your liking but I thought it was just great !!"
"Today was my first attempt at making Bread Pudding and this was it....VERY good and easy to make."
"Just made this very easy and very yummy"
"I made this recipe this morning for my in-laws. My mother-n-law is in her 70s and has baked since she can remember. She makes a pie crust that is so good, it doesn't even matter what the filling is, lol. So the pressure was on to find a good recipe and this is it... I did everything except the raisins I substituted with pecans and I added about a cup more bread (fresh baked french loaf from local store). I was worried it would be too soggy but with an additional 10 mins, my in-laws had a GREAT breakfast to start their trip to Hawaii with... Yay! :-) Oh and the vanilla sauce made quite a bit so I have enough for two batches! Guess what we will be having for breakfast again tomorrow!"