This bread pudding is a little lighter than most and is enhanced by a lovely lemon sauce. I've also served the sauce over slices of angel food cake.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Whisk in egg yolk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel. Serve over pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p136
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review