- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Whisk in egg yolk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel. Serve over pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
"Needed a quick winter dessert to take to a Sunday dinner. This recipe came out well but the tasted was way too "eggy" and the fresh bread did not provide depth. If you like a very smooth texture and are okay with your dessert tasting more like a brunch food, then this will work. The lemon sauce was lovely and quick. It can go on pound cakes and such as well... I make alter this by using a tougher bread or old bread ends and one less egg."