Bread Pudding Pear Pie Recipe
I've been serving this simple but elegant dessert for many years, after a friend shared the recipe, I especially enjoy baking yummy desserts. I guess it's in the genes--my grandfather came over from Norway and started a bakery in a small Minnesota town. -Kris Bailey Villand, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 English muffins, crumbled
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Fresh pear slices, optional
- 1. Coarsely chop pears; place in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add the milk, vanilla, lemon peel and salt; mix well. Stir in crumbled English muffins; pour over pears. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 2. For butterscotch sauce, combine brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. gradually add 1/2 cup cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla; set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Cut the pie into wedges. Garnish with whipped cream and pear slices if desired. serve with butterscotch sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC