Bread Pudding for 40 Recipe
- 16 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 loaves (1 pound each) day-old white bread, cubed
- 4 cups raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1-1/2 cups lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1. In several large bowls, combine the eggs, milk and butter. Whisk in the sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until combined. Gently stir in bread cubes and raisins.
- 2. Transfer to four well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Serve warm with bread pudding. Yield: 40 servings (7-1/2 cups sauce).
1 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Bread Pudding for 40
"This was terrific. Made it for church social hour and rec'd very good reviews. I used leftover hot dog buns (yes, really) from a picnic the day before, but you could use almost any kind of white bread. The sauce is very lemony, so go easy on that when serving."