Bread Pot Fondue Recipe
Our area is famous for its sourdough bread, and this is my favorite way to serve it! The fondue is fun to prepare and even more fun to serve. It works well for any occasionplain or fancy. Sometimes we even have it for dinner!
- 1 round loaf bread (1-1/2 pounds, 8 to 10 inches in diameter)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup (5 ounces) diced cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Slice off top of bread loaf, reserving top. Carefully hollow out inside of loaf with small sharp knife, leaving 1/2-in. shell. Cut the removed bread into 1-in. cubes (about 4 cups); set aside.
- For filling, combine the cheeses and sour cream in bowl; stir in ham, green onions, chilies and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon into hollowed loaf; replace top. Wrap tightly with several layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour 10 minutes or until filling is heated through. Meanwhile, combine the bread cubes, oil and melted butter. Arrange on a separate baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Unwrap and transfer to platter. Remove top from bread; stir filling and serve with toasted cubes and vegetables. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Bread Pot Fondue in Country Woman November/December 1988, p29
Reviews for Bread Pot Fondue(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2011
I have made this several times - always gets rave reviews and requests for the recipe. Great just as is, but I have also substituted dried beef in place of the ham and turns out just as good. Definatly a keeper!!
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Fondue Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Appetizers >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Appetizers >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dip Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Dip Recipes >
- Hot Dips >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >