- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.
Reviews for Bread and Butter Pickles
Sort By :
"Smell wonderful, taste good now, will get better. I used less sugar, equal amount of vinegar and sugar."
"we loved the recipe and will make again. The only thing was way to much juice."
"As if these don't already go too quickly...use them with ring bologna run them through a grinder together..mix with mayo and you will have the worlds best sandwich spread! Way better than deli type!"
"These are my husbands favorites. Just enough sweet to go with the sour!"