Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.
Reviews for Bread and Butter Pickles(13)
Sort By :
As if these don't already go too quickly...use them with ring bologna run them through a grinder together..mix with mayo and you will have the worlds best sandwich spread! Way better than deli type!
These are my husbands favorites. Just enough sweet to go with the sour!
Ive made this recipe twice now and the pickles go faster than I can keep up! I didn't have a problem withit being to salty. I just rinsed them real good a couple times.
These pickles went so fast last year, my husband asked me to triple the batch this year! Very good recipe.
I agree with the other poster about adding more cucumbers. I weighed the cucumbers according to this recipe and only ended up with 5 pints and lots of liquid left over. (I cut up a couple of cucumbers, covered them with the liquid, and placed in the refrigerator to snack on.) Other than the fact that I didn't get 7 pints, I thought the recipe was wonderful and would make again!