Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.
1/4 cup: 159 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2025mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Bread and Butter Pickles
"First time making these. Will be making another batch soon yum!"
"Smell wonderful, taste good now, will get better. I used less sugar, equal amount of vinegar and sugar."
"we loved the recipe and will make again. The only thing was way to much juice."
"As if these don't already go too quickly...use them with ring bologna run them through a grinder together..mix with mayo and you will have the worlds best sandwich spread! Way better than deli type!"
"These are my husbands favorites. Just enough sweet to go with the sour!"
"Ive made this recipe twice now and the pickles go faster than I can keep up! I didn't have a problem withit being to salty. I just rinsed them real good a couple times."
"These pickles went so fast last year, my husband asked me to triple the batch this year! Very good recipe."
"I agree with the other poster about adding more cucumbers. I weighed the cucumbers according to this recipe and only ended up with 5 pints and lots of liquid left over. (I cut up a couple of cucumbers, covered them with the liquid, and placed in the refrigerator to snack on.) Other than the fact that I didn't get 7 pints, I thought the recipe was wonderful and would make again!"
"I add banana peppers. Also if I have an abundace of zucchini and yellow summer squash I will use those in place of the cucumbers."
"My mother and I made this recipe for the first time last year. We Loved It! It did not last long, so this year we doubled the batch. This is a keeper."
"I have a similar recipe so I have not tasted this one. But I have a friend who uses thin sliced zucchini in place of cucumbers. No one knew they were not cucumbers. Another way to use up tons of zucchini."
"i would add at least another pound of cucumbers,i only got 5 pt. and had alot of broth left over."
"this is the recipe i use from the ball canning book. very good"
"Great flavor, great smell. I love the fact that there is not so many different spices to overwhelm the final product. just right!!! :)"
"WOW i made them and they were awesome . they make me think of my mother and when i was a child . miss you mom"