Bread and Butter Pickles
"My mom always made these crisp pickles when we were kids, and she gave me the recipe," says field editor Karen Owen of Rising Sun, Indiana. "They're pleasantly tart and so good."
28 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 15 min.
- 4 pounds cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover
- with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse
- and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to
- a boil. Add cucumber mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.