Bread & Butter Peppers
If your pepper plants are as prolific as mine, this recipe will come in handy. The crunchy mix of sliced peppers gives a kick to salads, side dishes and sandwich toppings. —Starr Milam, Sheldon, Wisconsin
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups seeded sliced banana peppers (about 7 peppers)
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned or 1 medium green tomato, halved and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 12 to 15 ice cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, onion and salt; top with ice.
- Let stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed and celery
- seed. Bring to a boil; cook and stir just until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over pepper mixture; cool. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at
- least 24 hours. Store an air-tight container in the refrigerator up
- to 3 months. Yield: 1 quart.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 32 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.