Brazilian-Syle Turkey with Ham
Grilled is a different and fun way to prepare whole turkey. My mom has served this main dish for special occasions, "Christmas in July" and weddings at her home.
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours and 30 min. + standing
- 1 whole turkey (12 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 pounds smoked ham, thinly sliced
- Remove giblets from turkey and discard. Place a turkey-size oven
- roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Place in a
- roasting pan. Combine the salt, pepper and garlic; rub over turkey.
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, tomatoes, peppers and
- parsley. Pour over turkey and into cavity. Squeeze out as much air
- as possible from bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-24
- hours, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks
- together. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using
- long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack.