Brazilian-Syle Turkey with Ham Recipe
Grilled is a different and fun way to prepare whole turkey. My mom has served this main dish for special occasions, "Christmas in July" and weddings at her home.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours and 30 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1 whole turkey (12 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 pounds smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 1. Remove giblets from turkey and discard. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Place in a roasting pan. Combine the salt, pepper and garlic; rub over turkey.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, tomatoes, peppers and parsley. Pour over turkey and into cavity. Squeeze out as much air as possible from bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning several times.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 4. Place turkey over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, tenting turkey with foil after about 1 hour.
- 5. Let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, warm the ham. Layer turkey and ham slices on a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings plus leftovers.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC