Bratwurst Stew Recipe
Using leftover brats hurries along the preparation of this satisfying stew from Deborah Elliott of Ridge Springs, South Carolina. "When time is short, this flavorful combination is so good and so easy, I usually have all the ingredients handy," she adds.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 Johnsonville® Smoked Brats, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the broth, carrots, celery, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in beans and bratwurst; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving equals 229 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 917 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC