Bratwurst Potato Soup
My husband, Frank, a former Army cook, adapted this nourishing chowder from my mother's homemade potato soup. We've created recipes as a team for over 50 years. Our motto is, "The couple who cooks together, stays together."
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the bratwurst, potatoes,
- water, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage. Cover and simmer for 10-15
- minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups milk. Combine flour and remaining milk until
- smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese
- until melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 288 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium,