Brats with Sauerkraut Recipe
I've made many variations of this excellent main dish. The bratwurst can be plain, smoked or cheese-flavored, served whole or cut in slices, with a bun or without. It would be popular at a party or potluck.
- 8 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 brat buns, split
- 1. Place the bratwurst in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, apples, bacon, brown sugar, onion and mustard; spoon over bratwurst.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°.
- 3. Place brats in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 534 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,188 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Brats with Sauerkraut
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC