Brats with Onions
"After years of eating plain old brats, I came up with this great-tasting version slathered in zippy onions," remarks Gunnard Stark of Rotunda West, Florida. Your family can enjoy juicy bratwurst for dinner with plenty left over for meals later in the week.
5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer or 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 fresh Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 15 hot dog buns, split or brat buns
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beer or water, onion, garlic, pepper
- sauce, celery salt, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Add
- bratwurst. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or
- until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain, reserving onions.
- Broil brats 4 in. from heat or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes
- or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with reserved onions.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 brat equals 512 calories, 25 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,341 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.