Brats with Onions Recipe
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer or 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 fresh bratwurst links (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 15 hot dog buns, split or brat buns
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beer or water, onion, garlic, pepper sauce, celery salt, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Add bratwurst. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain, reserving onions.
- Broil brats 4 in. from heat or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with reserved onions. Yield: 15 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Brats with Onions(3)
Sort By :
Delicious; used flavored beer...will do again
Ok, I usually improvise anyway; so I had a lemon/berry beer. So tender, I just ate it without bun and no mustard! So good...
I really like this method of cooking brats, they got good and crispy. There didn't seem to be enough seasonings so I put in extra hot sauce but I didn't realize how much this cooks down and the onions were almost to spicy. Next time I'll opt for the lesser seasoning amount especially with the celery salt.
More Recipe Collections
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Memorial Day Dinners >
- Memorial Day Recipes >