- 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer or 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 fresh Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 15 hot dog buns, split or brat buns
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beer or water, onion, garlic, pepper sauce, celery salt, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Add bratwurst. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain, reserving onions.
- Broil brats 4 in. from heat or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with reserved onions. Yield: 15 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Brats with Onions
Sort By :
"Delicious; used flavored beer...will do again"
"Ok, I usually improvise anyway; so I had a lemon/berry beer. So tender, I just ate it without bun and no mustard! So good..."
"I really like this method of cooking brats, they got good and crispy. There didn't seem to be enough seasonings so I put in extra hot sauce but I didn't realize how much this cooks down and the onions were almost to spicy. Next time I'll opt for the lesser seasoning amount especially with the celery salt."