"After years of eating plain old brats, I came up with this great-tasting version slathered in zippy onions," remarks Gunnard Stark of Rotunda West, Florida. Your family can enjoy juicy bratwurst for dinner with plenty left over for meals later in the week.
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer or 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 fresh bratwurst links (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 15 hot dog buns, split or brat buns
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beer or water, onion, garlic, pepper sauce, celery salt, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Add bratwurst. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain, reserving onions.
- Broil brats 4 in. from heat or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with reserved onions. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Brats with Onions in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p52
Reviews for Brats with Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review