Brats in Beer
This marinated bratwurst recipe comes from Jill Hazelton of Hamlet, Indiana. The flavor of the marinade really comes through in the grilled onions.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1-3/4 cups
- into a large resealable plastic bag; add bratwurst. Seal bag and
- turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Cover and
- refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Add onion to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Place on a double
- thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Fold foil around
- onion mixture and seal tightly. Drain and discard marinade from
- Grill bratwurst and onion, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in.
- from the heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and
- onion is tender, turning frequently. Open foil carefully to allow
- steam to escape. Serve brats in buns with onion mixture. Yield: 8