Ann Christensen of Mesa, Arizona shares this stick-to-your-ribs German dish that's sure to satisfy even the biggest appetite at your house. Sliced apple and apple juice lend mellowing sweetness to the tangy sauerkraut, flavorful bratwurst, red potatoes and bacon. Serve it alongside rye bread.
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top with bratwurst. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Brat Sauerkraut Supper in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p21
Reviews for Brat Sauerkraut Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review