- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top with bratwurst. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Brat Sauerkraut Supper
Sort By :
"This dish is delicious and easy. I browned the brats first and cooked for 4-3/4 hrs in the crock, which was a bit too long. Would add a bit more potato, sausage and apple juice next time. Johnsonville has very flavorful brats. Will definitely make again."
"made it half a dozen times, easy, and always a hit, i don't bother with the apple but everything else is the same..i use Johnsonville stadium brats, i like them best..i never liked sauerkraut til I had this..thanks!"
"This is sooooo good. Everyone in my family loves it, especially my husband. I make it often."
"I used smoked turkey sausage and turkey bacon to make it healthier."
"My family and friends have gotten to enjoy this dish many times. Its a great fall supper when the weather cools off, and its easy to make ahead for a crowd. Make too much, cause its even better as left-overs."