Brown sugar and sauerkraut provide the sweet and sour flavor in this super skillet meal shared by Emily Chaney from Penobscot, Maine. The family-pleasing fare is chock-full of hearty bratwurst slices and potato chunks.
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Pepper to taste
- 5 fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, sauerkraut, wine or broth, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, caraway seeds, bay leaf and pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the bratwurst; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Brat 'n' Kraut Supper in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p52
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Brat 'n' Kraut Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review